Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Why Do You Hate Rights?

"You believe in God?" the Atheistic Rights Theist asks. 

"I believe in God." 

"Whose God?" 

Uh-oh. Faith smashed!  

"The same God Who is the Author of Natural Rights," I answer. 

Ha! He thought I was going to say, "Why do you hate God?"! 

"Rights," the Atheistic Rights Theist solemnly intones, "are logical constructs governing the behavior of moral agents. How those moral agents came into existence is irrelevant." 

Nothing faith-based in that statement! 

"So you believe in Rights?" I ask. 

"Of course." 


"Whose version of Rights?"  

"What are you talking about?" The Atheistic Rights Theist sounds annoyed.

"I'm making a statement of fact. There are competing versions," I answer.  

"Rights are objective, rational, discoverable." 

"I agree. Whose version of 'objective, rational, discoverable'?" 

"You're a mystic," the Atheistic Rights Theist parries.

"Meaning what? I believe in God?"

"Yes. Theism is irrational. It poisons your thinking." 

"That may well be, but atheists subscribe to competing versions of Rights." Again, I'm stating the obvious.

"They can't all be right."

"I didn't say they could."

"Why do you hate Rights?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home