Monday, April 02, 2018

Rights Theism

I was raised Rights-Theist, but I'm OK now.
When I was a kid, I was told by adults, whom I trusted, that there existed a higher power. That power transcended time and space. Ordinary men quaked in its presence.
I was told this higher power was everywhere, and everyone knew it, and if I violated its "natural, objective, discoverable" precepts, I would be committing the crime of irrationality. 
I was told stories about Rights and given books to read about them. There were internet memes trumpeting Rights and Deep Thinkers who knew we would all come to enjoy Rights once the "last king was strangled with the entrails of the last priest." 
There were conflicting versions of Rights, even full length academic tomes presuming to defend one version of Rights or another. There were people who claimed to speak directly on behalf of Rights and represent them.
I was told everyone agreed on Rights if you left them alone to figure things out. It was those damned kings and priests who kept getting in the way. Never mind that Rights themselves were used as a control mechanism.
Even though no one had ever seen Rights, and even though they took different forms at different times and places, everybody seemed to know about this "natural, objective, discoverable" order. So, as a child, I had no reason to doubt it.
Then I grew up and developed the ability to reason. I used logic and common sense and I realized that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just looking for a little consistency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home